Saturday, June 10, 2006

Supporting the Drawers

It turns out, manufactured drawer glides less than 16" are not easy to find. No problem. I've always wondered how hard it is to make them myself. I decided to make side mount slides made out of 1/4" poplar. These will be attached to the case sides with screws, in case I need to replace them and to reduce the wood expansion problem. This helped me determine that the drawer sides must be at least 1/2" thick because I would have to cut grooves in them for the slides. The main reason I wanted to use the slides is to prevent the drawers from tipping down when opened.

Since I don't have a table saw, I was a little concerned about ripping the slides. I needed the slides to be about 3/4" high because that's the size of the router bit I would use to cut the drawer side grooves. Fortunatly, my circular hand-saw guide did the trick and I ended up with eight slides.

Next, I decided divider rails would be necessary to help support the drawers and allow me to add some kind of stop. The added these with pocket holes and glue, though I had to devise a method of screwing in the pocket screws with a rachet because my drill didn't fit.

0 comments: