Sunday, June 18, 2006

Making the legs - Part 1

After being pleased with the tile work Melissa and I managed to perform on the bathroom floor, I didn't want to cover it with a cabinet. So I decided this cabinet would need legs high enough to still enjoy the floor below it. One thing my brother's cabinets have definitely influenced me on is that legs can be an important part of a cabinet. Beyond just sturdy support, they can make a big cosmetic impact.o I decided to make some beefy legs with a slight taper. I picked up some 3’ 2 x 2 poplar pieces from Lowes (which are actually just 1 x 2s glued together). I cut each 2 x 2 in half and will glue 4 pieces together to make 3 x 3 legs. The problem is, my circular saw won’t cut a 3” thick piece of wood. This means, I’ll have to cut my two tapered pieces before I glue everything together.

Okay, so how do you rip a taper into a 2 x 2 with a circular saw guide? Here’s how I did it. I made a couple of counter-sunk screw holes in my guide and I actually screwed the guide directly to the piece I ripped (see picture below). This was the only way I could figure out how to keep the wood from slipping beneath the guide during the rip. One of the joys of paint-grade work is that holes can be filled and hidden. Dude, it worked beautifully.

Next, I began the ridiculous glue-up process of each leg (which consisted of two tapered pieces and two straight pieces).

0 comments: