Saturday, June 10, 2006

Building the Drawers

I hate building drawers. It takes FOREVER! And typically it's not very rewarding because most people just look at the drawer front and say "cool, a drawer". Building a drawer is like building the case for the entire cabinet. And the worst part is, you usually have to do it multiple times. For this project, it's four times for me.

I decided to use 1/2" poplar for the drawer sides and front. I'll use 3/4" poplar for the face. The drawer back and bottom will be 1/4" plywood attached using slots. After staring at two scrap pieces for quite some time, I finally decided to cut a dado and rabbet to attach the front and sides.


Next, I struggled through the tedious work of cutting and routering all eight drawer sides and fronts.


Finally, I routed the drawer side grooves for the slide.


Hopfully tomorrow morning I'll cut the drawer bottoms and backs, glue up the drawers, and discover that they actually fit in the case.

0 comments: