Saturday, June 03, 2006

Building the Frame and Panel Pieces

I used my router to cut 1/4" deep slots in the framing pieces.



Rather than cutting tenons for the framing pieces, I used butt joints. Where hidden, my Kreg pocket hole jig cuts holes so screws can hold the joints closed while glue dries.


The panels were cut from 1/4" birch plywood. I don't have a table saw. Instead, anything that is too big for my hand-miter saw gets cut with my circular hand-saw and guide. The guide is great. I can line it up with my pencil marks and get a nearly perfect cut.


My brother, Brek, once told me that wood glue is so strong that if two pieces of wood are glued together end-to-end, the pieces of wood will break before the joint. I choose to rely on this theory heavily because it makes joinery all the easier. I love glue.


When I can't use pocket holes (because of visibility) I use my Jorgenson clamps, which are good enough for me.


One problem with butt joints is they never seem to set exactly where you want them. So after the glue dries I put 60 grit sand paper on my power sander and sand them flush (shhhhhh, nobody will ever know).


And eventually, I have some frame and panel pieces...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»