Saturday, June 03, 2006

Getting Started

Design? Well, I don't really have one. I wrote down some sketches on a piece of paper but I lost it. I basically decided on a footprint and cut an old scrap piece of 1/2" plywood to be the bottom of the cabinet. I also came up with a design that would maximize space by letting the legs be inside of the footprint. This way I can butt the cabinet against a wall and the base molding will not conflict with the cabinet legs.

So my plan was to build a cabinet carcase using frame and panel pieces instead of solid wood or plywood sheets. I think this will make it look better and weigh less. Since I don't have a planer or the patience to use a hand plane, I have to buy dimension lumber. I picked up a bunch of 1x2 and 1x3 poplar pieces from Lowes. I picked poplar because it is the cheapest hardwood and I knew I would be painting this cabinet (so the wood doesn't have to be pretty).


I started by cutting the lumber. I use my Swedish miter hand-saw, when possible, because it cuts more accurate than my miter power-saw.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»