Sunday, March 02, 2008

Renovating the Renovation

When Pam the Plumber stopped by last week to get her materials list (to change our polybutylene to copper), she noted how narrow our finished shower was going to be. She suggested a different design but said she was ready to rough-in the current shower. After a sleepless night and lots of staring at our unfinished shower and bathroom design, I posted the question on Terry Love's Shower and Bathroom Forum and John Bridge's Tile Advice Forum. Is a 26" wide finished shower too narrow?

When I read the first of many similar responses ("As long as you're not planning on using your arms to wash your body while in the shower, you should be fine."), I knew the decision was a no-brainer.

This will set me back several weeks because I have to remove framing, part of my tongue and groove wall panel, build a new wall, move my electrical, and determine how to install a deadwood stud without removing all of my finished wall.

I had my reasons for trying to build a shower in the old tub's footprint but I should have done more research and design. Oops. In the end, I'm sure it will be worth the pain, misery, and humiliation.

0 comments: