Sunday, March 02, 2008

Bathroom Renovation #2 - Re-Framing The Shower

Our new design called for extending the depth of the shower by 9 inches. I built a little 9-inch wall that extends to the ceiling, built the curb, and trimmed back my tongue and groove panels to the new curb.

Since the tongue and groove panels are now terminating between two studs I built a deadwood stud between the two existing studs. The deadwood stud will also have to serve as the anchor for the shower door. Since I didn't want to remove my finished wall, Melissa removed the drywall and plaster along our terminal line. She left the plaster slats for my deadwood. Since I could only fish the deadwood stud in at a certain length, I had to build it out of two pieces. I used the plaster slats as support and screwed the deadwood stud up against the slats. To my surprise, it actually worked. The slats were solid enough to anchor the deadwood stud.

Okay, so now we've got our larger shower. Oh, we also decided to tile all the way to the ceiling. So we ripped out more plaster/drywall layers. This should finally be the last of it!

1 comments:

Ethan@OneProjectCloser said...

I just went through a big bathroom renovation. Check out this Kerdi membrane. I used the whole kit for my bathroom but it looks like you've got a good start on things.

Ethan One Project Closer