Saturday, June 14, 2008

Trim

The base molding was easy. I used the coping saw method for the inside corners and the wood putty method for the outside corners (joke). Of course all the walls were far from square. With 5 inside corners and 2 outside corners, there were lots of cuts. I added shoe molding to the base molding to match the style of the house. This was even easier. The nail gun is a life saver with trim.

Okay, and then comes the crown molding....Hate it! This was a real nightmare but we had to do it because the shower tile didn't terminate against the ceiling very gracefully. Crown molding would be the only way to fix this. Each cut felt like a shot in the dark...like I had a 50/50 chance of doing it right. I built a little jig on my miter saw to get the angles right but not only did I have to deal with non-square walls...the ceiling sags in the middle and is way uneven.

Wood putty and caulk. That is so much easier than trying to custom rip each piece of molding to follow the contours of the ceiling and walls.


A few coats of paint later and we've got decent looking molding!

0 comments: