Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Toilet!

It's a wonderful thing! To install a toilet. So satisfying.

It was last December that we ripped out the old one to begin tearing out the concrete floor. This morning I used our newly installed Toto Drake 1.26 gallon E-Max flusher for the first time. It was wonderful. However, while I was using it Melissa was quick to note that I need to bring the bathroom door in to put back on its hinges.

When we rennovated our upstairs bathroom two years ago, I installed a Kohler toilet because it matched the Kohler style series we had picked out (i.e., sinks, towel bars, etc.). I remember the Kohlet toilet having poor instructions, coming with parts that were from the wrong toilet, and having manufacturing defects that caused major leaks. This time I did due diligence and picked out the Toto Drake, which has outstanding reviews all over the web. It's made here in Georgia but not sold by the big box stores. It was a joy to install. The instructions were detailed and the design was well thought out. All the pieces fit right and nothing leaked...at least so far.

This morning's field flush successfully cleaned out the bowl with 1.26 gallons and quietly refilled in seconds. I added the easy-close seat/lid, which seems to be the current trend. If you drop the seat or lid from the open position it catches and gently closes. Fun!

Note: I choose not to put a bead of plumber's putty around the underside of the toilet platform as suggested by most toilet installation instructions. I'm following the logic that if the wax seal fails I want to see the leak on my bathroom floor imediatly rather than having it contained within the plumber's putty (or calk as some poeple use) seal under the toilet and forced to go into nasty places.

1 comments:

Brent Walker said...

Looks nice. I'm curious to know if you did anything to increase the friction between the bottom of the toilet and the tile floor to prevent rocking or sliding. I've had to replace our nasty wax seal a few times now for the situation noted above.