Sunday, June 15, 2008

Toilet Flange

I cut the PVC pipe for the toilet discharge with a flush saw so I could mount the closet flange onto the tile. It seems most builders say this is the preferred method (some say the top of the flange should be flush with the top of the tile). It's ridiculous there are different opinions on this, such an important part of every bathroom.

After destroying several cheap Kobalt brand glass/ceramic tile cutting drill bits from Lowes, I bought one from ACE hardware that actually worked. After about an hour of drilling I finally got six holes through the porcelain tile. I surrounded each hole with plumbers putty and filled it with water to cool the drill bit. Sometimes the water boiled from the heat. That porcelain is tough stuff! I drilled 1/4" holes so the screws would clear them and pull tight against the wood. I used the purple PVC primer and PVC paste to attach my metal ring flange and screwed it securely to the floor. And now I've got a rock solid attachment point for my toilet.

0 comments: