Monday, June 09, 2008

Priming and Painting

Painting sucks. It takes so many steps and can look like crap when done poorly. Fortunatly, Melissa doesn't mind doing it and she does a good job.

First she taped builders paper over all the shower and floor tile. Then she painted on two coats of Zinsser primer on the walls and ceiling. Then she painted the ceiling with ceiling paint and taped around the chair rail shelf and shelves above the vanity. After this, she painted the drywall above the chair rail shelf and the tongue and groove below it.


After examining countless paint chips, we settled on two greenish grayish colors, one slightly darker than the other (for the tongue and groove planks). Unfortunately, once on the walls, the two colors look nearly identical. Oh well.

Finally, Melissa switched the tape around and painted the chair rail shelf, shelves above the vanity, and the door casing molding.


Upon removing the tape, some of the paint came away...yikes. This will be touched up.


She's done for now. But she'll have to tape and paint again after I hang the crown molding, base molding, corner molding, and door (which I had to remove so I could cut the bottom off...it didn't fit with the new tiled floor height).

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I like the color! Too bad about the paint chip... that's why I never use tape. I bet my jobs don't look as good as that is going to, though!

Eric Jacobson said...

Jennifer,

No tape? How do you do it without tape? I guess you just have a steady hand, huh?

SmilingJudy said...

No tape is the only way to go. Faster and neater.

Sandy said...

I've never used tape either! I learned to paint when that kind of thing didn't exist! LOL