Sunday, January 13, 2008

Roof Leak Near Chimney

Every time I clear the gutters I make a point to remove the leaves that build up behind our chimney. We have a steep roof valley that directs water and debris to a spot directly behind a granite chimney in front of our house. After lots of rain I've noticed water pooling up behind the chimney but I figured, surely whoever did the roof put adequate flashing below all the tar and calk around the chimney. At least that's what I thought until Melissa pointed out a ceiling leak...that happened to be right below where I always notice water pooling.

So after Googling roof leaks around chimneys and staring at my problem spot for 30 minutes I decided this one was way out of my league.

The home's previous owner left behind a substantial amount of paper work on the home so I was able to find the number of the guy who put the roof on. I figured I would start with him, hoping he would honor his work, and fix the problem. He remembered the house and explained that the previous owner refused to pay the extra money to add the cricket behind the chimney and opted to find his own solution. Anyway, the roofer was cool, gave me a decent price, a five year guarantee on his work, and had the same shingles in stock (so the cricket would match the rest of my roof).

When he was done I climbed up to examine his work and enjoy my new cricket and flashing.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Awesome! Do you know why they call it a cricket?

Danielle Bailey said...

Hi there, Eric! It’s been years since this post. How is your roof now? Well, we have the same problem after the Holidays. The roofing around the chimney is profusely leaking. And like what you did, we opted to seek professional help to fix it. Our roofer did a very amazing job!

Patrica Kimberly said...

Winter, spring, summer, or fall, all you’ve got to do is call. This song is perfect for roofers! Indeed, cleaning gutters and maintaining it can be frustrating. You’ll have to climb up the roof just to remove the debris or otherwise, it will cause the roof to leak which can really be annoying. Well, how’s your roof doing now?