Sunday, January 27, 2008

Bathroom Renovation #2 - Drywall Patching

The idea of ripping out the original plaster ceiling and layer of drywall over it, then replacing it, seemed like a nightmare to me. I hate the idea of drywall over plaster but I figured it would be more trouble than it was worth to replace it. Other than several nail pops and some poorly sanded areas it was in good shape.

We fixed all the nail pop areas, some crumbly sections under the old mirror (that was glued to the drywall), and patched the old electrical box holes. We used the standard technique of screwing a board behind the hung drywall, cutting a small filler patch out of new drywall, and screwing it to the wood. In our case it was a pain because we had plaster behind our drywall. Which meant we had stack drywall scraps and shims to get the patch flush.

The only drywall screws I had long enough to go through the drywall and plaster to meet our wood strip were too long. I know it's not cool to leave pointy screws sticking into the hollow of walls so we improvised. Melissa cut a wine cork in half and I screwed it over the screw points in the wall hollow.

0 comments: