Thursday, July 15, 2010

Maple Dining Room Table - Router Work

I finally bought a flush cut bit for my router. This is an amazing little bit, I don't know how I ever got anything built without it. I used it for the final cross cuts on the table top, running it along my piece of particle board for the straight edge. Other than some tear-out on the right corner, it worked great.

Next, I switched to a slot bit with a bearing and cut the groove in each of the breadboard ends. And finally, I cut the tongue on each end of the table top. This part sucked because the table top was not perfectly flat. It has slight dips in a couple areas where I sanded a bit more along the joints. That means the tongue ends up with these same dips. I tried to compensate by making sure the widest sections of the tongue would fit tightly into the breadboard end groove but it became such a pain taking apart my jig each time to check, I ended up taking a bit more than I needed off the tongue. Hopefully, my brother's breadboard end technique allows this. I think it does.



0 comments: