Saturday, July 24, 2010

Maple Dining Room Table - Glue-up Redux

While I was dealing with the mis-measured tenons for the short aprons, I neglected the long aprons. The first mistake was that I didn't clamp them. I though I could just pound the joints together and they would hold. Dumb...

The glue dried with gaps, between the apron cheeks and legs, on 3 of the joints.


So I called Brek and told him my glue-up nightmare (described in my previous post too). He convinced me to take it apart and fix it. He said I would feel much better. I hope he was right.

I used a flush saw to cut the tenons to once again separate the long aprons from the legs.


This was a depressing day. Next, I put all four apron ends into my hand-miter saw and trimmed each end about 1/8" to cut the cheeks flush. This will shorten the overall table length by 1/4". I flush sanded the tenon pieces left on the legs with an orbital sander. Then I re-drilled the mortises and re-cut the tenons. After a quick trip to Highland Hardware, I got my first pair of 72" aluminum clamps. Now I'm ready.

So this time, everything went smoothly and I ended up with a nice table stand.


I also cut, drilled, and attached three cross braces for the top. These will use figure-eight screw swivels to hold the top down while allowing for its seasonal expansion and contraction.


0 comments: