Sunday, June 06, 2010

Maple Dining Room Table - The Wood

The table will go into a dark room. The room's walls are made of old heart pine tongue and groove panels, so we didn't want a dark table. I really wanted birch, because I had just fallen in love with a birch salad bowl I turned recently. However, my lumber yard's birch selection didn't include anything thick enough for the table legs.

Soft maple was our next choice. This is my first time using soft maple. I've heard great things about it and love the pieces my brother has made from soft maple. The actual lumber selection was a nightmare, per my expectations. There are hundreds of decisions. In the end, I stayed fairly conservative, selecting uniform colored pieces with an emphasis on straight grain near the edges.


Melissa talked me out of most of the wild pieces we saw. I managed to end up with this one though...
I was going to use it for the breadboard ends or a panel on the top but I chickened out. There was a knot right in the middle that went through and I got worried it would look too wild.

1 comments:

Kate H. said...

Just a note for future projects: Traditional country craftsmen (in Wales, at least) commonly mixed wood species in a single piece, depending on the job the wood had to do.