Sunday, March 08, 2009

Magnetic Door Catches

Yes, I'm still putting coats of finish on the coffee table. I have about one more coat for the doors and most of the table. The table top still needs about 5 more coats. I've been sanding down the top after sets of coats, in an effort to fill the pores and defects with finish. It's nearing a flat top but I think I'm nearing boredom with it so I'm going to end far short of perfection.

Meanwhile, I finally put together the magnetic door catches. They may be cheap, but they're also easy to install and durable. I found a piece of scrap walnut already ripped to match the coffee table rails. So I cross cut 6 pieces on the chop saw. Since there isn't room to get a drill under the bottom shelf, I had to drill and attach the magnetic catches using a straight edge as a guide. The catches have some play that alows for fine adjustment. I can adjust with a stub hand screw driver when I attach the door. I plan to mount the magnetic catch blocks behind the second from bottom rail. I'll use glue and a nail gun. Melissa doesn't like the plastic magnetic catches but they'll be hidden. I don't mind them because I know how difficult other catches are to install.

0 comments: