Sunday, March 29, 2009

Attaching the Coffee Table Doors


I'm a little behind in my posts. I attempted to attach the six coffee table doors two weeks ago and discovered I hadn't allowed enough room for the swing. The doors would open/close but they would catch on the rail above them. This was bad.


I set up the sanding disc with a coarse grit, tilted the Shopsmith table, and sanded the top back edge of the doors. Some of the doors also needed trimming on the bottom because they were catching the bottom rail. All this set me back a couple weeks because I had to refinish all the doors. The good part is, it gave me a chance to sand down the table top a second time and build the finish coats back up to a smooth glassy surface.


After the rain stopped, Melissa and I brought it in and sat it into its new home, in our family room. The final step will be to add a wax polish to the top. I guess I'll wait a couple weeks to make sure the poly has completely dried.


If my construction was done correctly, this table should withstand the seasonal humidity changes and I'll be able to watch the table top expand and pull away from the breadboard edges.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Eric this is AWESOME!!! Great job!

Unknown said...

I love the candid photo!

Sandy said...

You build the most awesome stuff!