Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Cutting the Glass


Melissa and I went back to Armstrong Glass in Kennesaw, GA and picked out some neat glass with swirls of green, white, and brown. We picked colors to match the room, which we will paint dark brown, and the rest of the house, which has earthly colors.

Getting the 3/8" glass sheets home without breaking was the first challenge. The second was cutting it. I used my T-square, clamps, and an oil-filled glass cutter. Cutting glass is scary. It's as if some instinct holds you back, telling you not to attempt to break the glass. But even though my hands would not stop shaking, I managed to cut 5 perfect glass panels for my cabinet doors.


Later, after priming, painting, wood filling, and lots of sanding, I added the hardware and 3/8 square dowels using my brad nailer. Without the brad nailer it would have been impossible to nail the 3/8 square dowels without splitting them or breaking the glass.

1 comments:

Sandy said...

Beautiful glass, beautiful job!