Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Starting the Cabinet Doors


I built the 5 cabinet doors using 1 X 3 poplar frames joined using half-laps. On my last project, I embedded a glass panel in a slot within the frame. Brek suggested building the door more like a picture frame so the glass could be replaced if broken, without rebuilding the entire frame. His advice on holding the glass in the frame was to use square dowels. I managed to find some 3/8" poplar square dowels at Lowes so I decided to use Brek's suggestions.

Finding a way to glue up the cabinet door frames and keep the door perfectly flat is always a challenge for me. The flattest thing I could find was an extra 3/4 plywood sheet I plan to return. I used sheets of paper as protection against glue attaching itself to the plywood. To hold the frame pieces flat I used my boat battery on some scrap wood (see photo above). The end result was excellent, my best yet!

0 comments: