Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Clamping the First Shelf

I wanted to join the panels for the coffee table shelf and glue/clamp them together first for two reasons. One, it needs to be completed before I glue-up the carcase because it floats between the sides. Two, I wanted to practice before I tackle the coffee table top. The top has to look good! The shelf is fairly hidden so it doesn't really matter if I screw it up.

I had a problem finding a flat surface for the glue-up/clamping. Melissa suggested our dining room table. I took her up on her offer. The water jug and car battery (in the trash bag) are used as weight to hold the shelf slats down as the glue dries; two of the slats would not lay completly flat. I put down paper on the bottom of the slats as a glue barrier from the table. I know I can always sand off the glue that drips out and any paper stuck to it.

0 comments: