Monday, September 22, 2008

Pepper Grinder Attempt #2 - Rounding the Block

The first step of any spindle woodturning project is to round the block. I started with a 3" x 3" x 12" block of Brazilian Rosewood.


To make the initial rounding easier, I used the Shopsmith's tablesaw to cut the corners off.

Next, I converted the Shopsmith to the lathe and rounded the block to a cylinder. This is a fun step. Wood shavings fly everywhere and you feel like you're getting somewhere. If the roughing gouge catches, no big deal, you'll have enough wood to correct it later.


I also used the parting tool to separate the grinder head from the body. These would later be cut completly apart to become two pieces.



After the previous, failed grinder attempt, I did learn an important lesson, however. It's important to get a consistant diameter across the entire cylinder. If not, when the block is clamped in place for boring, the holes will be crooked. More on this later. I used calipers to check the diameter.

0 comments: