Sunday, April 13, 2008

Preparing For Hardibacker

When we demoed the shower, I noted there was no insulation on the outside wall. That must have been one cold tub/shower in the winter. We, of course, remembered to hang some insulation.

Afterwards, Melissa cut the 15# roofing felt to hang as our vapor barrier.


I had the ingenious idea I would kill two birds with one stone by hanging the roofing felt by attaching my furring strips over it. When I was about 90% done I heard Melissa holler from the study that I had messed up; my stupid technique ended up with wood on the wrong side of the vapor barrier. Dumb. So I had to rip out the roofing felt (to prevent a moisture sandwich) and staple it on top of my furring strips.


Speaking of furring strips. I'm so sick of making them. I deciding early on to use them because our framed shower was not plumb or square. I figured the furring strips would give me an opportunity to fix these problems by shimming out the flaws. Although I was able to fix some obvious problems, man, I sure spent a lot of time cutting and hanging the darn furring strips!

0 comments: